[CentOS] package 'synchronization' for multiple systems

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Thu Feb 7 18:48:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 07:45:09PM +0100, Lorenzo Quatrini enlightened us:
> Michael Semcheski ha scritto:
> >On Feb 7, 2008 1:14 PM, Tim Alberts <talberts at msiscales.com> wrote:
> >>I'm setting up multiple systems and ideally I want the same package
> >>configuration on all of them.  So I'm going through yum and rpm queries
> >>manually to try and get this done.  There must be a better way.  Is
> >>there a way to use yum or rpm to configure multiple systems with the
> >>same packages?
> >
> >What I've done (and I'm on the lookout for a better way) is to right a
> >script that uses ssh to run yum on each machine.
> >
> >If there is a way to query yum for the list of installed packages,
> >that might suffice.  Query each computer for the list of installed
> >packages, get the union of those lists, and install that on each
> >machine.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with yum to know if this is
> >possible.
> >
> >Mike
>
> I guess the best way of doing that is via kickstart
>
> I was thinking about yum... you could do
>
> yum list installed | tail -n +4 | awk '{ print $1 }'
>
> but still there is some work to do.
> Maybe "rpm -qa" is a better way to have the list, but still, if you have to
> install multiple systems at once, I guess that kickstarting is the best way.

I agree, for install Kickstart is the way to go.

Post-installation, you can use configuration management tools such as puppet
or cfengine to ensure (sets of) packages are installed/not installed as
necessary.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak