[CentOS] package 'synchronization' for multiple systems

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Fri Feb 8 03:28:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:14:28AM -0800, Tim Alberts wrote:
> I'm setting up multiple systems and ideally I want the same package
> configuration on all of them.  So I'm going through yum and rpm queries
> manually to try and get this done.  There must be a better way.  Is
> there a way to use yum or rpm to configure multiple systems with the
> same packages?
>
> If yum or rpm has something native built into it to do this, that would
> be great.  If there's some scripts to simplify some tasks that works too.
>
> I've used webmin's 'Cluster Software Package' module, and will probably
> fall back to it.  However I don't think I get the info that yum gives
> regarding package grouping and what packages are part of what
> capabilities.  Gotta query elsewhere for it.  (no disrespect to webmin
> folks, great tool)

When you say 'same package configuration', do you mean you just want the
same set of packages (latest versions), or that you want to specify both
packages and version numbers?

I've been investigating doing both. For the former, I've written a little
tool here:

  http://www.openfusion.com.au/labs/xsync/

that lets you assert what packages and services should and should not be
installed and/or running e.g.

  # Ensure some packages are removed
  touch /etc/xsync/rpm-remove.d/{nfs,nfslock,portmap,ypbind}
  # Ensure some other packages are installed, up to date, and running
  touch /etc/xsync/yum-install.d/{httpd,mod_perl,openssh-server}
  touch /etc/xsync/chkconfig-on.d/{httpd,sshd}
  # Check those changes look okay
  xsync -n
  # Update the system
  xsync

Typically you do this somewhere central, and then push out the (one or
more) /etc/xsync trees to your target boxes.

Cheers,
Gavin

--
Gavin Carr