[CentOS] Reg. Kernel switching

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Fri Feb 8 14:59:36 UTC 2008

Padmaja wrote:
> Can you please provide the instructions/ commands to re install the original
> kernel. Also please let me know if anything went wrong with this
> re-installation of 2.6.9-42 kernel, will it affect the other kernel from
> working or I can still continue to use the 2.6.9.34 kernel?

find the original RPM for the kernel you want and run

rpm -Uvh <rpm name>

if it fails saying it's already installed run:

rpm -Uvh --force <rpm name>

if it fails saying something newer is already installed run:

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage <rpm name>

The installation of 2.6.9-42 will likely remove the 2.6.9-34 kernel,
I *think* you can get around that by using rpm -iv instead of -Uvh,
that should install the new kernel along side the old. But you should
keep a backup of the other kernel just in case(or track down the
original RPM for that as well).

nate