[CentOS] Disk partitions and LVM limits

Peter Blajev

pblajev at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 8 18:58:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've got a DAS DELL MD1000 with a bunch of SATA drives in RAID 5 configuration
with total space of 5.4TB. This box is attached to a CentOS5 system (kernel
2.6.18-53.1.6.el5).

Any idea how to make this space usable?
Is there a limit how big a partition can be? What is the work around?
Is there a limit how big a file system ca be?

I've tried to partition it but no matter how bug partition I create fdisk
spits out these messages on the console:
---
sdb: very big device. try to use READ CAPACITY(16).
SCSI device sdb: 10248519680 512-byte hdwr sectors (5247242 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
---

I decided to not partition the drive and use LVM but the physical volume
stopped at 2TB.

So, right now I can't use LVM because of this 2TB limit and I'm not sure if I
partition the drive how good these partitions are because of the the message
from fdisk.

Any help or idea is highly appreciated.

Thank you
Peter