[CentOS] Centos 5 on i586

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Feb 8 21:58:38 UTC 2008

Mark A. Lewis wrote:
> So, what is a "valid" 64bit CPU? I have a DEC Alpha in the basement that
> is most certainly 64 bit, but can't install the i386 or x86_64 version
> on it. How about Sparc or HP-UX boxes? Are they valid 64 bit CPUs?

I suspect he meant specifically x86_64...  sure, there's lots of 64 bit
processors that aren't x86 based, including Intel Itanium (ia64), DEC
Alpha/AXP, Sun UltraSparc, HP PA-RISC, IBM Power4/5/6 and PowerPC, etc etc.

There /are/ linux builds for most (all?) of these, but not RHEL/CentOS
distributions.