[CentOS] resolv.conf question

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Feb 9 02:53:15 UTC 2008

Thomas Dukes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a centos 4.6 system acting as a router for my local network.  I
> obtain my eth0 IP address automatically via DHCP from my ISP, sc.rr.com.  If
> I add 127.0.0.1 to resolv.conf, it won't save it.  I tried adding this to my
> dhclient.conf

your ISP is supplying its DNS server settings via DHCP, this is whats
getting copied to /etc/resolv.conf for use by applications running on
your router.

> lease {
>     option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
> }

I don't think thats correct. assuming you're running your own DNS server
on this 'router', try...

interface "eth0" {
  send dhcp-client-identifier 1:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
  prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
}

you need to change xx:xx:xx:xx... to your MAC address.