[CentOS] Samba problem after Up2date

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Feb 12 13:54:12 UTC 2008

Dago Pacheco wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt escribió:
>> Dago Pacheco wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.... I have this CentOS 4.3 server that is used as a file, web and mail
>>> server just for LAN hosts.  After an up2date procedure (in wich there was a
>>> lot of package involved.... about 500) I started having problems with file
>>> shareing in samba server.
>>>

>> As the Release Notes state (you did read those, didn't you?):
>>
>> samba
>>
>>     samba has been updated to version 3.0.25b. This addresses several
>>     critical issues affecting interoperability with Windows 2003™ and
>>     Windows Vista™ (resolved in recent upstream releases).
>>
>>     All revisions to samba made for this update entailed invasive
>>     code changes in some critical code paths. This made backporting
>>     to version 3.0.10 non-feasible. As such, all samba packages were
>>     rebased to version 3.0.25b instead.
>>
>>     Because of the rebase, some option interpretation methods
>>     and components behaviors changed significantly. This means
>>     that after upgrading samba, the configuration file will need
>>     to be manually edited.
>>
>> More details in those release notes.

> But I just have Win2K users...... I'll check those release notes

Right, however the Vista and 2003 server thing is the reason for doing
the changes in that way (rebasing and not backporting).

Once rebasing decision is made (not my decision ... made upstream :_) ),
all config files need to be re-evaluated and changed as necessary,
regardless of the clients involved, as there are different options ...
some added, some removed, etc.

run this command:

testparm

Also you may want to look here:

http://samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.0.25b.html

Also follow the links to 3.0.25a, 3.0.25 to see what items should change
(in the config file) on an upgrade from 3.0.10 TO 3.0.25b.

The bottom line is that your config file may need some work to function
properly, and what you potentially need to change totally depends on
what you currently have in your smb.conf file.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes