[CentOS] securing web applications (Wiki CMS installation)

kfx kadafax at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 17:01:46 UTC 2008

mouss wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Simon Jolle wrote:

>>> thank you
>>>
>>> I will deploy Wikka Wiki [0] - there are no explicit security settings
>>> or guidelines
>>>
>>> How to harden Apache and PHP (without using SELinux)?
>>
>> SELinux is the "best" hardening step available for securing RH based
>> php/httpd/mysql stacks (IMHO) ... why are you taking it off the table
>> ???
>
> Let me try:
>
> - because it's too much? complexity is the ennemy of security. lack of
> adequate documentation is the ennemy of usability. I couldn't find
> simple directions on how to make a service work correctly in presence
> of selinux (except disabling it).
---------
# Activate auditd
chkconfig auditd on && /etc/init.d/auditd start

# Start apache and do your stuff to generate messages in audit.log

restorecon -R /var/www/
audit2allow -M rule-name < /var/log/audit/audit.log
semodule -i rule-name.pp
---------

You should read (and maybe modify) the file "rule-name.te" before the
semodule's command which is created by the audit2allow's one.
It is not really the correct way to do as it is likely going to open too
much stuff. It's just to show you that you can live with selinux enabled.
Think that selinux can make you save time.

Regards,
kfx