[CentOS] pvmove speed

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Feb 13 03:25:51 UTC 2008

Sorry 'bout that previous one. Wrong key combo hit!

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 19:57 -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> Are there any ways to improve/manage the speed of pvmove?

Not that I am aware of. Keep in mind that a *lot* of work is being done.

You could "nice" it. "man nice". Since there is likely to be a lot of
I/O happening, it may not help much.

> Man doesn't show any documented switches for priority scheduling.
> Iostat shows the system way underutilized even though the lv whose
> pe's are being migrated is continuously being written (slowly) to.

If the drives are on the same channel, or other devices on the channel
are also flooding the channel, that would be expected. Does "swapon -s"
show a lot of swap being used? Does top give a clue? I suspect a lot of
CPU may also be involved.

--
Bill