[CentOS] pvmove speed

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Feb 13 03:30:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 19:57 -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> <snip>

> Iostat shows the system way underutilized even though the lv whose
> pe's are being migrated is continuously being written (slowly) to.

I finally thought about that last line. Makes since because meta-data
tracking must be done as various pieces are moved and a checkpoint is
written (note in the man page about being able to restart without
providing any parameters). And that is the drive that is failing too!
May be a lot of write failures followed by alternate block assignments
going on at the hardware level. Just a SWAG (Scientific Wild-Assed
Guess).

--
Bill