[CentOS] Apache RPM's

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Wed Feb 13 16:58:25 UTC 2008

nate wrote:

> Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
>
> > Then there is the whole convincing these firms and agencies that
> > since CentOS is a duplication of Redhat's system it is therefore
> > certified by the laws of transitivity, but who knows if they will
> > buy it...
>
> Well I wouldn't be surprised if a agency/certification thing would
> not support you under CentOS if they support RHEL. It would be sad
> but not completely crazy.
>
> Those firms and agencies are likely more strict on what they support
> than software/hardware vendors. And there's quite a few software
> and hardware vendors that don't support CentOS but do support RHEL.
>
> I suppose it mostly comes down to the organization behind it and
> the relationships Red Hat in this case has with those companies in
> order to help track/escalate problems/fixes/etc easier then
> organizations like CentOS that are less formal. And yes I believe
> if a bug is found in CentOS it's almost certain to appear in RHEL,
> but without reproduction under RHEL the vendor is unlikely to
> approach Red Hat and say you have a bug in your product even though
> I was using CentOS.

True. Maybe if CentOS gets enough publicity and a tremendous user
base (not that it doesn't now) it would be too much of a force to
just disregard as "unsupported", but who knows, time tells all.

Oh and BTW I believe it is CentOS' user base that discovers the
majority of the edge case bugs in RHEL as I believe the user
base to be more diverse in the hardware they run it on. The
majority of hardware RHEL is run on is HP or Dell, so RHEL
actually benefits in the long run with CentOS being around.

-Ross