[CentOS] XFCE-Terminal can't display latin1 encoding

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Wed Feb 13 19:11:24 UTC 2008

Niki Kovacs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Much of my work consists in connecting to the MySQL monitor on our
> public library database server and working in it. Until
> recently, I've
> been using either Gnome-Terminal in GNOME, or Konsole in KDE.
> Since all
> the systems, both server and clients, default to fr_FR.UTF-8,
> and MySQL
> uses a default latin1 charset, I usually switch the displayed charset
> within Gnome-Terminal or Konsole.
>
> I'm actually converting most of the desktops to XFCE, since it's my
> preferred desktop environment. Unfortunately, XFCE's Terminal
> application doesn't seen to offer the opportunity to switch to
> displaying an ISO-8859-1 (or ISO-8859-15) charset. Is there any other
> way to achieve that?
>
> Right now, all my french characters in the MySQL console appear as
> inverted question marks. Which leaves me with two more
> inverted question
> marks in my eyes :oD
>
> Any suggestions?

It may be as simple as choosing a unicode font. I don't know if
you can choose what font to use, but if so pick one that supports
the unicode character set and set the language in your bashrc or
whatever.

There is also good ole 'xterm' and I saw an app called 'Terminal' in
extras, maybe that can work for you? I know xterm will be a PITA to
setup correctly, but it has options to cover just about every
scenario, find the options that work for you and then xset them.

-Ross