[CentOS] pvmove speed

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Wed Feb 13 20:10:54 UTC 2008

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> >What are you pvmoving again?
> >
> >-Ross
>
> Ok, here is what happened: I have a box running iet exporting
> an LV that started out as two 750 gig HD's mirrored off an 8
> channel LSI SAS controller. I needed more space, and added 3
> 400 gig HD's in a r5 vd to this VG. Yes, I now need even more
> space, but I only have 8 channels, so... Moving it all over
> to 7 750's in an r5 either with a hotspare or maybe 8 750's
> in a r6, don't know yet

Don't know? Where are you pvmoving everything now?

It would be a whole lot easier to get the new array fully
setup, initialized and tested, then add it as a new PV to
the existing VG, then do the pvmove then to pvmove it twice.

If you put the new array on a newer higher end controller and
leave the existing setup as it is and pvmove between them
things would move a lot faster.

> All vd's on the controller are optimal, nothing is degraded
> but I need to move all this data off the darn thing to free
> up the original ld so I can break and recreate it.

Is that array on a different controller?

Is that array fully initialized?

Does the controller have a BBU write-back cache?

Maybe I am missing some important parts of the picture here?

-Ross