[CentOS] Re: Strange performance issues under CentOS 5.1

Alfred von Campe alfred at von-campe.com
Wed Feb 13 22:11:09 UTC 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 11:37, Scott Silva wrote:

> I didn't see it but did you do a 'uname-a" on both systems to see
> if one is running a PAE kernel?

No, that was not it.  But I did finally track it down.  There was one
additional difference in the software configuration that I had
forgotten about.  The CentOS 5.1 system is in a different NIS domain
and it has Kerberos enabled.  We are going to move to an integrated
NIS/AD environment to have a single sign-on for Windows and UNIX/
Linux, and I was planning to roll that out at the same time as CentOS
5.1.  The performance issue went away when I used a local account to
do the build, and also on another CentOS 5.1 system (on identical HW)
that was bound to the old NIS domain.

Needless to say, we can not roll out CentOS 5.1 in the new NIS
domain.  I will be talking to the corporate IT folks tomorrow to
track down what is causing this issue.

Thanks for all the help,
Alfred