[CentOS] yum-proxy?

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Thu Feb 14 12:17:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've been using Debian for a few years, and there was one nifty little
app that made installing and updating so much easier: apt-proxy.

Most of the time, I'm taking care of small LANs with an average of five
client PCs. But this is a very remote place in South France, so most
villages only have 512 kbps DSL. One major update for openoffice.org-*,
and I have to wait the whole day for updating each machine (unless I scp
-r /var/cache/yum from machine to machine, but that's another story).

I'm currently testing an "intermediate" solution: creating a local Yum
repository. I have [base], which consists of all the 5.1 RPMS copied
over from the DVD. Then [updates], which I'm currently rsyncing from a
remote mirror. And I think I'll do something similar with [extra], which
only leaves [rpmforge] (but I won't cache that :oD). Not a very
satisfying solution, since for example I'm currently installing XFCE as
only desktop environment, and I have nevertheless to download every
GNOME- and KDE-related update.

A message to the developers: yum-proxy would be a much-needed addition
to Yum, in my humble opinion. I don't have the technical skills to
develop such a thing, but maybe one of you has (Daniel, do you read
this? :oD)

I'm curious about your comments on this.

Cheers,

Niki