[CentOS] domain name display issue in linux pc

Jeff Larsen jlar310 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 13:22:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 6:50 AM,  <padmaja.rv at vodcalabs.com> wrote:
> Right now, I am facing a different issue. I have to set up DNS server using
> BIND on Centos 4.3. When I type the hostname on Centos, it shows:
>
> sipserver.vodcalocal.com
>
> But the cli prompt has root at sipserver ~ meaning only the sipserver part of
> the hostname is displayed. why is this so? What is the actual hostname then?
> I see in the

What shows in your shell prompt does not necessarily indicate a
networking problem. Is there a networking problem? Personally, I like
having the short hostname in my prompt.

domainname command is for NIS/YP, you want dnsdomainname.

I don't see any problems with your configuration files. Whether to use
or not use the FDQN in those files is not well defined. If hostname -s
and hostname -f return the short and FDQN names respectively, then you
should be good to go.

--
Jeff