[CentOS] Re: Kernel 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5 fails on network.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Thu Feb 14 18:06:48 UTC 2008

Yeah, having the ability to do this would rock. The box in question is on a
remote power switch, however I don't have an IP KVM there (but would love
one!). The box does hosting for a number of community wireless sites in
Australia - none of which make any money to put towards buying equipment! I
looked at a single port IP KVM, but this was around $480AUD :(

As the box goes to a command prompt - even after failures - I was thinking
of putting a simple script at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local which will
launch in the background (/root/bin/bootinfo &)

----------------------- Begin script ---------------------
#!/bin/bash
sleep 30

# Gather some system info:
echo "System booted at `date`." > /root/bootinfo
cat /proc/version >> /root/bootinfo
echo "------ Dmesg start ------" >> /root/bootinfo
dmesg >> /root/bootinfo
echo "------ lsmod start ------" >> /root/bootinfo
lsmod >> /root/bootinfo
echo "------ ifconfig start ------" >> /root/bootinfo
ifconfig >> /root/bootinfo
echo "------ route info ------" >> /root/bootinfo
route -n >> /root/bootinfo
echo "------ mii-tool start ------" >> /root/bootinfo
mii-tool -v -i eth0 >> /root/bootinfo
echo "------ End troubleshooting ------" >> /root/bootinfo

# Test if we have network connectivity.
ping -c 1 -n <gateway>
if [ $? -eq "0" ]; then
  # We can ping the gateway!
  exit 0
else
  # We have no network connectivity :(
  cp -f /etc/grub.conf-good /etc/grub.conf
  reboot
fi

Does anyone have any additions or insight into this? Maybe something I'm
forgetting?

Obviously I'd have to make sure /etc/grub.conf-good is a working copy of the
config for grub....

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au