[CentOS] Re: Kernel 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5 fails on network.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Thu Feb 14 18:38:21 UTC 2008

I have found the issue with this - and now I feel quite dumb.

In this box, I keep a second HDD (/dev/hdc) which is mirrored nightly from
the primary HDD (/dev/hda).

This is an exact copy - initially created via dd, then kept up to date via
rsync on a nightly basis. This is so that if the primary HDD fails, I can
change the system to use /dev/hdc and be up and running  after a
reboot/forced power cycle.

What was happening is that both /dev/hda3 and /dev/hdc3 have the LABEL=/ -
which means it would be a random guess as to which one got mounted.

After changing the root=LABEL=/ in grub.conf to root=/dev/hda3, all works
perfectly.

Man I miss the days when we used device names, not labels ;)

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au