[CentOS] New kernel (2.6.18-53.1.13) generates "unknown attribute" errors during boot

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Fri Feb 15 14:47:10 UTC 2008

MHR wrote:
> I've seen this now a few times, but of course I didn't write them
> down, so I may have the wording a little off.
>
> The new kernel seems to contain something in udevd that is now
> generating a whole slew of unknown attribute(or something like that)
> errors during the boot, before the part where dmesg picks up.
>
> They don't seem to be causing any actual problems while the system is
> up and running, but....
>
> Anyone know anything about this (and what)?

probably not the kernel, you might have installed some package since
your previous reboot and you're just seeing the messages now
I know I saw this with a rebuilt libnjb from FC7

check /var/log/messages, you should see what the message was.
I suspect udevd stuff like: unknown key 'ATTRS{idVendor}'

Then grep the string in /etc/udev/rules.d/* to find the culprit

If you have eg some ATTRS{idVendor} you might try replacing them with
SYSFS{idVendor}