[CentOS] system-config-display problem

Anne Wilson

cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 16 10:58:03 UTC 2008

I bought a Viewsonic VG730m monitor, analogue and digital.  With a digital
cable connected the screen keeps blanking for a second or so.
system-config-display shows it configured as a CRT monitor, and refuses to
accept that it is an LCD monitor.

I've tried manually editing xorg.conf, putting in the manufacturer's values
for horizontal and vertical refresh, but the problem remains.  The Viewsonic
website has lots of information for windows and some for mac, but nothing for
linux.

I need either

to find how to make system-config-display keep the setting I'm giving it

or

to know what entry to put into xorg.conf to make it understand that it is an
LCD display.

Sorry if this sounds naive, but I've not had a digital monitor before.  I
could go back to using the analogue connection, which gave no problems, but
you'll understand that I'm reluctant to do that.

Anne