[CentOS] Support Tools

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sat Feb 16 20:52:38 UTC 2008

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> does something like the SUSE/Novell ntsutils (previously called
> "supportconfig") or Microsoft's MPS Reports exist for CentOS or Red
> Hat Enterprise Linux? I mean a program that reads and exports various
> configurations and parameters to facilitate technical support.

The 'sysreport' aka 'sos' package does this to some extent; as
SuSE and Microsoft each use a unifying tool (YAST2, and the
.msc <old memories, I forget?> tools) to manage a central
registry and then to 'flow' the configurations out so services
and applications, the concept is more applicable on those
platforms for a reporting add on; simply 'tarring' /etc/
catches the essential configuration files on RH derived
systems.

-- Russ Herrold