[CentOS] system-config-display wrongly sets up Viewsonic VG730m monitor

Anne Wilson

cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 18 17:24:17 UTC 2008

I originally set up this monitor with an analogue lead.  Everything seemed
fine, so I didn't check xorg.conf at all.  Then I bought a digital lead, and
since then the monitor blinks.  Running system-config-display identifies it
as a 1280 x 1084 CRT monitor.  It is an LCD monitor.

That model is not on the drop-down list, so assuming that a specific driver
wasn't available for it, I tried telling system-config-display that it is a
generic LCD 1280 x 1024 monitor - restarted X, then went back to
system-config-display, where it showed up as a CRT monitor.

The refresh rate set was way outside the manufacturer's recommendations (1280
x 1024 @ 60Hz). so I tried manually setting refresh rates to match the
manual's recommendations.  At the moment my xorg.conf has

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "Monitor 1280x1024"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    60.0 - 72.0
        VertRefresh  60.0 - 72.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     16
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Attached is the relevant part of the specification page.  Any advice, please?

Anne