[CentOS] Password Protecting a Root Directory

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 00:37:17 UTC 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 6:20 PM, John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com> wrote:

> So, I'm punting... I'm going to change it all over to using it's own
> unique document root and not go any further with this mess.

Yeah, if you're vhosting, they should really have their own individual
docroots. Also, keep in mind that .htaccess is a bit of a hackish way
to do things, and even the apache folks recommend not using it unless
necessary. You should really be putting the .htaccess bits into the
vhost config directly if it's at all possible.

.htaccess forces the webserver to scan multiple directories so you
burn more cycles than just loading up the files with the privs set in
the config.

George Orwell