[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Feb 19 12:59:39 UTC 2008

Ed Donahue wrote:
> OK, that worked for me
>
>     yum clean all
>     yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=updates update
>
> Should this be done on a weekly/monthly basis? " yum clean all"
>
> Or are my repos messed up?

I run "yum clean headers" daily.
I disabled the yum update daemon and use the following:

-=-=-=-=-
#!/bin/sh
# /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron

if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/yum ]; then
         /usr/bin/yum clean headers
         /usr/bin/yum -e 0 -d 0 -y update yum
         sleep 300
         /usr/bin/yum -e 0 -d 0 -y update
         sleep 10
         /usr/bin/yum clean headers
fi
-=-=-=-=-

The sleep commands are probably not necessary, but they make me feel
better. Perhaps just a sync command would be enough, probably not even
that is needed.

Actually I just remembered - the first sleep is necessary. Since I have
several machines, I have staggered sleep values so they hit my local
mirror at different times. I've found apache on my local mirror (low mem
machine) sometimes locks up if they aren't staggered and all hit the
repo at the same time.

If you are on dialup though, downloading headers may take awhile.