[CentOS] acroread 8 on CentOS-4 (was for SL4)

Akemi Yagi

amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:06:15 UTC 2008

I know acroread is not part of CentOS but many people use it.  Thought
forwarding this post on the SciLinux mailing list might help those who
use acroread on CentOS-4.

=== excerpt ===
The "latest" version officially compatible with RHEL4 is acroread-7.0.9,
but this currently has open security holes (CVE-2007-5663 et al).
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa08-01.html still
says (as of today, i.e. 2 weeks after the initial announcement):

> Acrobat and Adobe Reader 7.0.9 and earlier versions are also affected
> by these vulnerabilities. Adobe will provide further information as
> to the nature of the vulnerabilities via the company's Security
> Bulletins and Advisories page once updates are available for all
> affected versions of Acrobat and Adobe Reader.

acoread-8.1.2 (which is patched) requires RHEL5 as per Adobe (libgtk+2.6
?). It appears that despite this requirement, it happily runs under 4 as
well.. at least for the limited use we foresee over here.

For the entire post, see:

http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0802&L=scientific-linux-users&T=0&P=12526

Akemi