[CentOS] named dead but subsys locked

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 15:46:43 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 10:42 AM, Paul A <razor at meganet.net> wrote:

> Hi I recently compliled Bind 9.4.2 on
>
> CentOS release 5 (Final) 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5 #1 SMP

Why? What's wrong with the bind package that ships with centos?

> I compiled named chroot, I have done this on several other centos 4 server
> with no issues however on this centos 5 server im seeing

> [root at testip1 named]# service named status
> named dead but subsys locked
> [root at testip1 named]# service named stop
> Shutting down named:                                       [FAILED]

What init script are you using if you built your own bind? Are you
using selinux on this box? Did you verify the build?

> Anyone know what im doing wrong?

Other than not using rpms?

Also where can I find the named init script
> for centos 5.

It's inside the bind package on centos.

George Orwell