[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Feb 19 21:58:02 UTC 2008

Bob Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 23:02 -0800, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 10:56:58PM -0800, Bob Taylor wrote:
>>> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 20:24 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Coming in late on this thread, but...
>>
>>   1. Can you point your repo's at a different URL?
>>   2. Have you tried a 'yum clean all' first?
>>   3. Try disabling everything _but_ the update repo, doing yum clean
>>      and then yum update.
>>
>>      yum clean all
>>      yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=updates update
>
> After running both commands I receive the following:
>
> 0 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
>
> Still haven't found the problem! I have also put priority=1 in both base
> and updates. No help. So...if Ed's is working, why isn't mine? Is
> yum-updatesd the problem? Should I use Michael's script? This has become
> very frustrating!

sounds like the mirror you are updating from is not up to date.

We currently know that one mirror is bad:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-mirror/2008-February/002532.html

Please look at the file "/var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt" and see the
first server from that list.  If it is not a belnet.be mirror, please
tell me which one it is, as it may be out of date.