[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Bob Taylor bob8221 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:57:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 02:22 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Bob Taylor <bob8221 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 14:27 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> >  > On Feb 19, 2008 1:58 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > > Please look at the file "/var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt" and see the
> >  > > first server from that list.  If it is not a belnet.be mirror, please
> >  > > tell me which one it is, as it may be out of date.
> >  >
> >  > According to Bob's earlier post, he does not seem to have the
> >  > fastestmirror plugin.  So he probably does not have that file...
> >  >
> >  > Bob, do a 'yum install yum-fastestmirror' and try again.
> >
> >  Did so. No help. FYI no timedhosts.txt in the rpm. I still think the
> >  problem lies in yum's message "Could not find update match for kernel".
>
> timedhosts.txt is NOT in the rpm.  It is created when you run yum and
> contains the names of the mirror sites yum tried to access.  Johnny
> wanted to know which site yum attempted to use.  If you do not see
> this file even after yum was run, then something is amiss there.

My bad! It's there. I was looking in the wrong directory and didn't
notice until later. The file currently contains:

mirror.centos.org 1.90688800812

Shouldn't yum update kernel update all kernel rpms installed? Rpm -q
kernel returns all kernel rpm's I have installed (ie kernel-2.6.18-8.el5
kernel-2.6.18-8.1.14.el5)

I tried this (yum update kernel) which reported: Could not find update
match for kernel. How do I find what arch yum is using? This may be a
clue why the kernel only is not being updated. This is what uname -rmpi
returns:

uname -rmpi
2.6.18-8.1.14.el5 i686 i686 i386

> Akemi