[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Bob Taylor bob8221 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 16:08:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 23:14 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> Bob Taylor wrote:
> > Hm. I just noticed http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/updates/i386/RPMS/
> > kernel listings are i686.rpm. Could my problem be this is confusing yum
> > as I use i386 and this is the i386 directory? Doesn't make sense since
> > no one else seems to have this. Of course their are most likely few
> > running Pentium II's. Searching for answers in the dark.
> >

> um, i686 is pentium pro and beyond, including P-II, P3, P4, and Core, as
> well as the various Athlons.     AFAIK, CentOS 5 doesn't support the
> older i486/i585 variants

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 5
model name      : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 398.278
cache size      : 512 KB

Sorry, I didn't actually say I have a Pentium II. Just implied I did.
--
Bob Taylor