[CentOS] Reg. VNC server and Windows and Centos interworking

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 23:53:48 UTC 2008

Padmaja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for such a fast response. I typed vncserver at the command line
> and it asked me for a password. It said I would require password to
> enter the desktop. I did not set any before so gave some dummy password.
> It again showed Verify and I typed the same password again. Then the
> screen showed something like
>
> for user padmaja, the startup script is in /home/padmaja/.vnc/Xstartup
> the startup applications are in /home/padmaja/.vnc/Xstartup
> the log file is in /home/padmaja/.vnc/sipserver.com.log
>
> After this I typed ps aux and saw that there is a Xvnc running againt
> pid 11435.
>
> Now, I tried to connect to the Centos PC from Windows using Vnc client
> and it gave the error
>
> "unable to connect to host: connection refused (10061)."
>
> I cant understand what the issue is. I am however able to connect to
> Windows PCs from VNC on windows.

Vncserver creates separate desktops for each instance and should have
given you a 'screen number" when you started it - probably :1 for the
first one.   Then you have to specify the matching screen when you
connect from the client:  hostname:1.  If you have the firewall running
on Centos, you have to permit the appropriate port in ( 5900 + screen
number).  If you are expecting to access the desktop running on the
console you need a different approach.  KDE and Gnome have 'screen
sharing' options for the running desktop.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com