[CentOS] CentOS serial questions (Hyperterminal equiv and connecting to server via Hyperterminal)

Tim Verhoeven tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 08:38:50 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Rogelio <scubacuda at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two serial-related questions
>
> (1) What is the CentOS (or *nix) equivalent of Hyperterminal in Windows?
> Sometimes I'm on a CentOS box and need to, say, console into a Cisco or
> something.

Besides minicom there is also a GUI terminal app called gtkterm.

> (2) I have a CentOS server that I may need to transport somewhere and will
> most likely *not* want to carry around the monitor. Where should I look in
> connecting to my server via a serial connection?
>
> (I'm more on the network end of things, and am hoping for a nudge in the
> right direction on these two questions)

You basicaly have 2 options. If the server has a normal standard
serial port you can setup a tty on that serial port. Once the machines
has booted then you can login on the serial port.

If the server has any remote management features then you probably
will have things like console redirection, BMC/IPMI, remote console,
... but they are platform specific so look at the manual for that
server and see what is available. They usualy do provde a way to
redirect almost all output to a serial port.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)