[CentOS] CentOS 5.1 - equivalent of xorg-x11 ?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Feb 25 16:07:26 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Tom Brown wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> If i want to add X to a system after install on CentOS 4 that would be
>> a yum install xorg-x11 etc
>>
>> This package seems to have been renamed in CentOS 5 and i wonder if
>> anyone can tell me what that now is please
>>

> yum groupinstall "X Window System"
>
> and also pick the GUI that you want from:
>
> "GNOME Desktop Environment"
>
> or
>
> "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
>
> or
>
> "XFCE-4.4"
>
> and add that on the end of the about groupisntall command ... like this
> for KDE:
>
> yum groupinstall "X Window System" "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

That can be a bit hefty on resources, I know.  However, that is how
Gnome or KDE or XFCE were meant to be installed.

It is certainly possible to thin down the install by doing a:

yum groupinfo "<group>"

On each group and then only pick packages that you know you need.  That
does require trial and error and a very detailed knowledge of your exact
requirements.  If you have that knowledge, then by all means pick
individual packages for each group ... personally, I just use the
groupinstall method :)