[CentOS] Reg. VNC server and Windows and Centos interworking

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 19:31:44 UTC 2008

Padmaja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your response, I could connenct to the Centos PC from Windows
> using VNC. However, I do not see the icons etc., that I see when I
> access any windows PC. I ran the command ps aux and saw there is a vnc
> process running for iconic view, but 'm not able to view the icons on
> the desktop. What should I do to get access to the GUI?

If you don't create your own /home/username/.vnc/xstartup file,
vncserver will run twm which is a very old and unfriendly window
manager.  You probably wan to run gnome instead.   But, as I mentioned
before, this is going to run an independent screen.  If instead, you
want to control the console session remotely, try
System/Preferences/Remote Desktop from the Gnome menu and allow remote
connections.  This will be to the :0 (default) screen.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com