[CentOS] ext3 errors

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 00:11:18 UTC 2008

William L. Maltby wrote:

>> 'fsck -y' seems to fix it up, but it keeps happening.  Is this likely to
>> be leftover cruft from the hardware issues or are there problems in
>> ext3/raid1/sata drivers?  The way backuppc stores data with millions of
>> hardlinks in the archive it isn't really practical to copy it off,
>> reformat, and start over.
>
> If you use cpio, it can handle the hard links intelligently, IIRC. That
> may make this more feasible. Plus you can specify such things as depth
> to the find command feeding cpio so that even directories end up with
> good dates.

Handling them intelligently and in a reasonable amount of time are 2
different things.  The last time I tried to copy a backuppc archive much
smaller than this I gave up after 3 days - and I've tried most of the
possible file-oriented ways to do it, including cpio.  Normally I
raid-mirror to another drive and remove it for offsite copies, but if
there are filesystem errors that fsck won't fix, they are going to be
propagated in an image copy.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com