[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Bob Taylor bob8221 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 05:12:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 21:22 +0100, Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> On Monday 25 February 2008, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > Lets get this fixed so we can kill this thread.
>
> Good initiative, but since the layer beneath also fails (rpm) maybe we should
> start there. rpm -qi kernel or maybe bad stuff in /etc/sysconfig kernel.

Where I am confused is the original kernel and ONE update is in
the /var/log/yum.log then nada.

I seem to recall a discussion many months ago regarding an i686 kernel
being installed from an i386 directory. If you look at
http://isodirect.centos.org/centos/5/updates you will not see an i686
directory, just i386 and ia-64. All rpms in the i386 directory are i386
except the kernels and very few others.

/etc/sysconfig/kernel:
# UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
# new kernels the default
UPDATEDEFAULT=yes

# DEFAULTKERNEL specifies the default kernel package type
DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel

> The interesting error from RPM suggests that it thinks the machine is an i586
> (or atleast not i686).

uname -imp:

i686 i686 i386

Don't know why the kernel says it's an i386. Kernel bug? Gateway
purchase?

--
Bob Taylor