[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue Feb 26 19:01:14 UTC 2008

Bob Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 22:46 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> > Bob Taylor wrote:

> > > [snip]

> > > What does this say my cpu is:
> > >
> > > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> > > cpu family      : 6
> > > model           : 5
> > > model name      : Pentium II (Deschutes)
> > >
> > > [snip]

> > > So, my cpu is not an i686?
> > >

> > a P-II should be.  i686 is everything from the Pentium Pro onwards,
> > including P-II, P-III, P4, core, and the various clones.  it does NOT
> > include the original Pentiums (p5 and p54) or 'pentium w/ MMX', those
> > are i586.
>
> What is model : 5 above compared to p5?

The model refers to "Pentium II", the family '6' refers to i686,
the stepping is the sub-version of "Pentium II" which for yours
has the nick name "Deschutes".

Here is the cpu info of a more recent quad core Intel.

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X3220  @ 2.40GHz
stepping        : 7

This model is 10 cpu designs ahead, but still part of the i686 family,
of course these 10 designs do not show the separate Pentium/Xeon/Pro
tree lineages. I think they gave up giving the steppings nick names
a long long time ago.

-Ross