[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Feb 26 20:16:19 UTC 2008

Bob Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 08:14 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> what happens if you edit /etc/rpm/platform and change it too:
>>
>> i686-redhat-linux
>
> Nothing.
>
> I downloaded the current rpm file this morning and ran rpm -Uvh
> --force /home/brtaylor/rpm-4.4.2-47.el5.i386.rpm.
>
> Rpm seems to behave oddly. I had downloaded the current kernel rpm and
> installed it with the command rpm -ivh --ignorearch [file] successfully.
> I can not remove it with the command rpm -e kernel-2.6.18-53.1.13 but
> can if I add .el5 to the end it does. Before I deleted it I ran the
> command rpm -ql kernel and all three kernels rpm files were listed
> including the kernel rpm which rpm -e said wasn't installed. This
> doesn't make sense to me.
>
> I have done the following:
>
> rpm -Uvh --force /home/brtaylor/rpm-4.4.2-47.el5.i386.rpm
> edit /etc/rpm/platform to i686-redhat-linux
> rpm -e kernel-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5
> yum clean all
> yum upgrade kernel
> returned Installed: kernel.i686 0:2.6.18-53.1.13.el5
> Complete!
>
> It looks like the problem may be in rpm after 4.4.2-37. Before I go to
> the rpm people, I need to confer with Ray Van Dolson who says his is the
> same as mine and he has no problem updating kernels. After Ray and I
> resolve this issue, I will send a last email to the list hopefully
> ending this subject with the resolution to this problem.

The problem was most likely the /etc/rpm/platform

if it is i386 and not i686 then is will not allow i686 RPMS to be installed.

That file should only be updated IF anaconda does an install or upgrade.

It should only be i386 of it is installed on a pentium classic processor
(or equivalent).

That is the only cause of the "incompatible arch".

Nothing in centos except an install/upgrade via anaconda should ever
tough that file, so once you change it, it should remain changed.

Reboot a couple times and makes sure it (/etc/rpm/platform) stays the same.

If it changes we need to figure out why.