[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Feb 26 22:09:45 UTC 2008

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Bob Taylor wrote:
>>> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 08:14 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Nothing.

<snip>

>> The problem was most likely the /etc/rpm/platform
>>
>> if it is i386 and not i686 then is will not allow i686 RPMS
>> to be installed.
>>
>> That file should only be updated IF anaconda does an install
>> or upgrade.
>
> Good to note, I was under the impression that it might be set
> in the initrd in case a different kernel image is installed.
>
>> It should only be i386 of it is installed on a pentium
>> classic processor
>> (or equivalent).
>
> Would anaconda even allow C5 to install on such a class cpu?

no ... and we have no i386 kernel ... no idea how that file got changed,
but the only code to make it happen would be a pentium classic
processor.  C5 would just die, as there is not one. (c4 too)

>> That is the only cause of the "incompatible arch".
>>
>> Nothing in centos except an install/upgrade via anaconda should ever
>> tough that file, so once you change it, it should remain changed.
>>
>> Reboot a couple times and makes sure it (/etc/rpm/platform)
>> stays the same.
>>
>> If it changes we need to figure out why.
>
> I think there may be a case or two of bad packages updating that file
> I believe these are some dumb Mozilla plugins though, googling got
> me these:
>
> http://dnmouse.webs.com/playdvdsmore.htm
>
> and here:
>
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/
>
> The OP had a lot of kitchen sinks installed maybe a broken plugin
> was the cause of all that grief. Probably right around the time
> he installed that repo and things stopped working.

In both cases it seems that unixODBC-devel.i386 is the thing that
possibly makes /etc/rpm/paltform angry.

Let me research that.