[CentOS] bash - safely pass untrusted strings?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Feb 26 22:42:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 04:33:30PM -0600, Les Mikesell alleged:
> Does anyone have a quick reference to the order of operations as the
> shell parses a command line (variable parsing,i/o redirection, wildcard
> and variable expansion, splitting on IFS, quote removal, command
> substitution etc.)?  That's really the first thing you need to know
> about the shell and if there is a simple description it must be buried
> in the middle of some obscure manual.

This is from the "EXPANSION" section of the bash manpage:

       The  order  of  expansions  is:  brace expansion, tilde expansion, parameter, variable and arithmetic
       expansion and command substitution (done in a left-to-right fashion), word  splitting,  and  pathname
       expansion.

University of Southern California