[CentOS] proliant ml370

Robert - elists lists07 at abbacomm.net
Thu Feb 28 06:54:59 UTC 2008

> hi all,
>
> i just inherit a server:
>
> Compaq ProLiant ML370 Generation 2 Server with Smart Array 5300
> Controller with 6x18.2GB hard drives.
>
> i want to install centos 5 on it with hardware raid 1.  any idea how?  it
> also has a build-in and add-on ethernet cards. how do i know which one is
> which to assign ip?
>
> thanks.
> t. hiep

t. hiep,

Basically you need a Compaq smartstart cd specific for this unit

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/smartstartinfo.html

I am guessing it would be version 5.5 that you need yet you can try whatever
version you want up to a certain version and they will tell you whether or
not they are support on that unit when you try and boot into them

It is possible that the version 6 family will work yet you will have to
trial and error it.

Once you get the one you need, then you can use it to erase the current
config and then reboot and start from scratch making the raid you want

You will choose the opsys you want and raid levels

If raid1, you would do 3 raid1 2 disk arrarys

If raid5, you can group them all in one disk

Or you could do 1 raid1 array with 2 disks and a raid5 arrays with the other
4 etc

It is pretty easy once you are used to it.

With 6 disks, I would pry go with a raid5 array with a hot spare or
whatever.

Here is the basic docs.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prod
TypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316593

don't waste a lot of time there, mostly you just need to get hands on and
play.

 - rh