[CentOS] Kernel-upgrade breaks forcedeth-driver (CentOS 4)

Simen Thoresen

simentt at dolphinics.no
Fri Feb 29 11:59:27 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Same system as my previous mail - Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboards, CentOS
4 x86_64.

The kernel-supplied forcedeth driver works in kernel-smp-2.6.9-55.0.9.EL
(both with and without acpi=off), but after upgrading to
kernel-smp-2.6.9-67.0.4.EL, networking does not start. After trying
dhcp, ifconfig reports 17 dropped TX packets (all other counters are
empty). Ethtool reports the same settings for working and non-working
kernel, and both report the link arbitrated to 1000Mbps. Setting a
manual address does not do anything useful either.

When booting with 55.0.9, networking works again.

This has also been confirmed on another system - 2.6.9-55.0.12.EL works,
and 2.6.9-67.EL fails (but this system is not available for
troubleshooting right now).

Also, the above system was attempted installed with CentOS 5 (.0 and
later with 5.1), but this was aborted due to 'networking problems', so I
  am thinking that the problem possibly persists at least as late as the
CentOS 5.1 install-kernel.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Yours,
-S
--
Simen Thoresen - Dolphin ICS Systems Administrator