[CentOS] Recommended software for mail greylist?

Dennis McLeod dmcleod at foranyauto.com
Fri Feb 29 16:04:09 UTC 2008

I like spamdyke for qmail......
http://www.spamdyke.org/

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of John Hinton
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 7:29 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Recommended software for mail greylist?

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Zhang Huangbin wrote:
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> I want to use grey list in mail server, currently, i use postgrey to
>> implement it.
>>
>> Any other recommended software?
>
> perhaps you should consider asking on a MTA specific list ?

Karanbir,

I belong to several lists regarding mail. That world is pretty darned
complex and many times spread first between windows and 'nix servers and
then divides out into the various 'nix flavors and the few winders options.

It would REALLY be sweet if there was a list specific to CentOS and email,
where all things remotely related could be discussed. Basic system
discussion through to anti-spam techniques.

As a side, I could see blossoming a Wiki area specific to email which might
eventually fill out to an extremely robust set of how to's for installations
of what amounts to being some of the very hardest things that I've
accomplished with CentOS. Yes SpamAssassin is a powerful tool, but for
instance the default setup that comes out of the box is fairly weak. A trip
to the SpamAssassin site will just leave you mostly confused and reading for
hours only to find out that what you think is good might not be applicable
to your system.

Googling doesn't help much either. It's just about impossible to get a
decent return on a search as there is just too much information and the
relevance goes down to all but useless.

I think a fair number of the members of this list and the users of CentOS
are using it in a server environment and require email. And basically, if
you require email that is not exclusively internal to a network, spam is a
huge battle which requires constant time... and I mean hours and hours and
hours and hours of time. I just spent about 4 days on this again this past
week.

Do you or anyone else have a good idea for how something like this might be
accomplished? If CentOS can't handle what might be a pretty good additional
mail volume or storage/traffic volume, would anyone else perhaps step up the
the plate? If so, would CentOS readily advertise this list on the site so
that it would gain enough users to be a valuable service?

I would offer to do it here, but I fear I don't have enough bandwidth as I
think a list like this would be a huge success, if people knew it existed.

Best Regards,
John Hinton