[CentOS] yum update download only?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jan 2 12:59:21 UTC 2008

Kenneth Porter wrote:
> Googling for this feature, I saw reports from the yum developer that it
> wasn't yet implemented. This was in mailing list posts from a year or
> more ago. Did it ever make it into the yum code?
>
> I want to start downloading the updates for a server going from 5.0 to
> 5.1 and then do the actual installation once I'm on site. I don't want
> to have to wait around while there for the download to proceed. I'd
> rather have all the packages ready in the yum cache when I get there.

There is a yum plugin to do this ... it is called yum-downloadonly, so

yum install yum-downloadonly

Afterwards do this to see how to use the pluging:

yum --help

Basically ...

yum --downloadonly upgrade

This will put all the updates into the /var/cache/yum/

(This will be all the updates for the packagelist on the current machine
... so if you want to get them all, make sure to duplicate the machine
packagelist you want to get the downloads for)

you can then copy these files to the new machine(s) /var/cache/yum/

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes