[CentOS] nForce 630i Chipset, unable to get integrated nic working

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Jan 2 21:31:59 UTC 2008

David Levinger wrote on Wed, 2 Jan 2008 12:21:46 -0800:

> I tried downloading the latest driver's from NVidia's site here:
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.23/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.23.zip
> However, the RPMs that are provided are compiled for a specific kernel and
> don't work with the latest Centos 5.1 kernel.

After some looking around I found this page
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.23.html
and assume that's where you found this file.
Last year they still provided their own proprietary drivers in those *.run
files you find here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_169.07.html
It seems these contain only the display drivers now. :-( and forcedeth is now
the "official" driver.
I see that the provided kernel module is supposed to support RHEL 5.0, so I
guess you just need to wait a bit until they release a version for 5.1.
There's also an external discussion forum at nvnews.net

> They also provide a .c file
> > for compile but no makefile. I'm going to try and figure that out.

Well, tried just compiling directly with gcc?

> Fedora 8, however, works right out of the box,

of course. You *do* know the difference between CentOS/RHEL and Fedora?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany