[CentOS] Xen, GFS, GNBD and DRBD?

Tom Lanyon

tom at netspot.com.au
Wed Jan 2 22:44:19 UTC 2008

Hi all,

We're looking at deploying a small Xen cluster to run some of our
smaller applications. I'm curious to get the lists opinions and advice
on what's needed.

The plan at the moment is to have two or three servers running as the
Xen dom0 hosts and two servers running as storage servers. As we're
trying to do this on a small scale, there is no means to hook the
system into our SAN, so the storage servers do not have a shared
storage subsystem.

Is it possible to run DRBD on the two storage servers and then export
the block devices over the network to the xen hosts? Ideally the goal
is to have the effect of shared storage on the xen hosts so that
domains can be migrated between them in case one server needs to go
offline. Do I run GFS on top of the DRBD mirrored device, exported via
GNBD to the xen hosts; or the other way around, using GNBD to export
the DRBD mirrored device and then GFS running on the xen hosts?

Is this possible; is there an easier/simpler/better way to do it?

Thanks,
Tom