[CentOS] Re: OT: How many watts do I need?

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Thu Jan 3 03:27:53 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > Is 430Watt enough?
>
> What brand?

And that is the right question. I have an Antec power supply that is rated at
450W that I used to replace a non name 650W one. The 650W burned out while
the 450W works just fine.
The reason is easy. The power supply has different rails. Different rails are
used for the different voltages (3.3, 5 and 12V). Some high end supplies have
more than one rail for certain voltages.
The problem comes in that most cheap manufacturers simply add up the maximum
allowed for each rail and use that. However, these power ratings are not
independent. Most power supplies create the 3.3V from the 5V. On the power
supply you will then see stuff like "Combined maximum for 3.3V and 5V is 25A"

In short, a good 430W power supply will easily deal with what you have
planned. If it is a cheap one it will probably burn out.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psurailhistory/rails.html

Peter.