[CentOS] Weird crash with CentOS 5.1

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:53:44 UTC 2008

Hi

On Jan 4, 2008 2:43 AM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Odd. Have you checked the memory with memtest?

I haven't. Simply because it runs so well under Windows.

But I had plan to buy new RAM tomorrow, they are so cheap these days...

> Which version of Windows? This shouldn't make a difference, but it's
> been known to cause issues.

Windows XP SP2.

> Anything special happen on that day? Windows updates, linux updates,
> application updates etc?

Well, the user told me that no he didn't.
Reason being linux had just been fully re-installed (due to the same
crash), and Windows had been running for several weeks no reason to
upgrade, and people are instructed no to install any updates.

Windows is installed with the extfs driver.

Now thinking about it, I did modify the sudoers list from Windows by
editing /etc/sudoers.

I actually did think that the issue could be with the Intel RAID not
being handled properly and that somehow Windows wrote something on the
ext partition that made the linux driver crash.

It's very annoying.
Jean-Yves