[CentOS] Mail server setup for small ISP

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Fri Jan 4 01:25:24 UTC 2008

On Friday 04 January 2008 00:09:06 Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> I think that squirrelmail and
> horde would do a good job for webmail.
>
> 	There shoudn't be any troubles having some redundancy for DNS, web
> servers, mtas, but what about IMAP/POP? linux-HA?  MySQL replication
> should be enough, I guess.  Or maybe linux-HA as well.  I wonder if I
> should add GFS to the mix to have multiple IMAP/POP servers use the same
> storage.  Or maybe IMAP proxies?
>
> 	Any insights welcome :).

Hi Ugo,
Congrats on your plan opening the ISP.
For webmail, a professional touch would be nice for your customer. Instead of
using plain squirrelmail, try using http://www.nutsmail.com/ instead.

AFAIK, redundancy for mail server seldom uses linux-ha/any other failover
stuffs. It is most common to use 'backup MX' in DNS settings. So, when the
main server in unreachable, the sender mail server would try to the secondary
MX through DNS query.

http://linux2.arinet.org
08:25:18 up 51 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.