[CentOS] Firewall frustration

Toby Bluhm tkb at MidwestInstruments.com
Sat Jan 5 01:33:41 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> qsm wrote:
>> maybe shorewall can do your live so easy.....
> It does not support the rtl8150 chipset.  That is what the I have in
> the way of USB ethernet dongles.
>
> Which is another reason to go with a Centos based solution when you
> need to put something up as you go.

Which is how I have shorewall/shoreline working . . . .

[tkb at nutube ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5 (Final)

[tkb at nutube ~]$ rpm -qi shorewall
Name        : shorewall                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 4.0.2                             Vendor: Invoca Systems
Release     : 3                             Build Date: Mon Aug 20
09:03:41 2007
Install Date: Mon Aug 20 09:05:25 2007      Build Host: nutube
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
shorewall-4.0.2-3.src.rpm
Size        : 483558                           License: GPL
Signature   : (none)
Packager    : Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>
URL         : http://www.shorewall.net/
Summary     : Shoreline Firewall is an iptables-based firewall for Linux
systems
Description :
The Shoreline Firewall, more commonly known as "Shorewall", is a Netfilter
(iptables) based firewall that can be used on a dedicated firewall system,
a multi-function gateway/router/server or on a standalone GNU/Linux system.

Shorewall offers two alternative firewall compilers, shorewall-perl and
shorewall-shell. The shorewall-perl compiler is suggested for new installed
systems and shorewall-shell is provided for backwards compability and smooth
legacy system upgrades because shorewall perl is not fully compatible with
all legacy configurations.

--
Toby Bluhm
Alltech Medical Systems America, Inc.