[CentOS] Wondering about CentOS 5.1 functionality

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sat Jan 5 04:47:10 UTC 2008

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 23:37 -0500, Mark Weaver wrote:
>> I'm giving serious thought to loading 5.1 on my Inspiron 1501 laptop,
>> but I'm wondering about certain hardware support such as the following:
>
>> - - Broadcom Wireless Adapter - 1390 Wlan (bcm43xx)
>
> Last I checked not even Fedora runs this thing properly. Avoid.

Actually Fedora 7 ran it wonderfully. I used ndiswrapper and a script to
initialize the adapter during the boot process.

I'm running OpenSUSE 10.3 on this laptop right now and there is plenty
to like about it, however I'm a RedHat man at heart and there are things
that I'm used to on my RedHat systems that I don't want to give up. I'd
like to get back to a RedHat based distro for this machine if I can.

Mark